300e Misfireing

My girlfriend has her 1989 300e which seems to be misfiring. When she starts it you have to give it gas and then it will idle by itself. When she takes off it does the usual thump thump and when it idles if you go to the muffler you can hear it going puut puut....ect. I highly dought it will pass and emmisions test this march. IS there anyway I can fix this. Everythign else works fine. How much does a top overhaul cost on this motor? Regards, Chuck

Reply to
Chuckyg

It can be as simple as bad spark plug wire... or the spark plug itself. Spark plug wires are tested by the resistance... should be new 1000 ohm... to 1300 ohm when old... anything past 1400 is questionable.

Reply to
Tiger