300E : Rear End Question...

Sometimes my 300E makes a grinding noise from the rear end.. It sounds like it is the pumpkin and it could be low on gear oil. Any suggestions-Chuck,
MOnmouth County NJ
-I posted about my radiator a month or so ago about how I was losing coolant; it turned out the radiator was leaking only while the car was running. I bought a new radiator and hoses while I was at it.
I would check the oil level and the seal to see if they leak... if they did, greasy oil would be all over it. Once low it would growl at highway speed.