300e Speedometer fluctuation

My 300e's speedometer will run up to and peg at 160MPH the true speed being 25MPH. It's intermittent. Sometimes if works fine. On a percentage basis, I would say that it malfunctions 75% of the time. Is there a bushing that has too much lateral play in it? Is there an adjustment that can be made? Thanks for your help.

JB

99 E55 88 300E
Reply to
jb

There is a speed sensor at the transmission... either that or the speedometer is bad.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks Tiger. How does the transmission speed sensor work? Where is it situated?

Reply to
jb