300E Tie Rod Question

Hi Everyone... Ihave posted here many times in the past and found the site to be great help. I have a 1989 300E. The car had a few bugs that I have been able to get fixed over the past several months. Yesterday I had to
get new tires. I got Falken 205ZXs...I thought 300 bucks was pretty good for new tires. The guy said I should have the tie rods replaced soon. They have never been replaced before. He said to allign the car right, the rods should be replaced. He said it would be 260 dollars for the rods and labor and allignment. It seems like a fair price to me, doe sit to anyone else?
-Regards, Charlie, Monmouth County NJ, Mercedes 300E 140K
Aligning a car with worn parts is a waste of money, IMHO so the shop is correct IF the tie rod ends are, in fact, worn and loose. Are they?
Does the car need to have its front wheels aligned?
How did the tread look on the old tires?
Does the car pull?
Does it track well or wander?
TG:
Tires were worn and cracked in front... The car does not wander at all...I took a look at the tie rods in the garage and he said they are worn...To me, they did look tired...What a difference the new tires make though...Car rides a lot smoother...-Chuck
I bet it steers a lot better too! Worn tires seem to catch tracks in the road surface and pull the car this way and that.
If there's any looseness in the tie rods they're history, otherwise don't bother.