300E transmission takes time to engage reverse

I have a 1990 300E that's done 120,000km. It's sweet in every way except the transmission.
Changing gears seems slow and the engine often revs when changing up.
I'm told this is probably due to worn friction discs. I bought the car six months ago, when the problem already existed, so it's difficult to know how long the problem has been there.
More frustratingly, when changing into reverse, it can take quite a while for reverse to actually engage. If parked on a slope, the car can roll forward several feet before reverse takes hold. It's a bit awkward and I often need to use the handbreak and rev the engine in an effort to get into reverse.
Will I be best just to replace the transmission, or can it perhaps be fixed?
Thanks Matt

Make sure it has the proper amount of fluid first... Both the items you describe could be caused by low fluid level...
Otherwise, yes it can be fixed by rebuilding it.
Marty
Yep, if the fluid level is normal, you need new tranny... rebult that is.