300E water leak from new pump, no heat, noise HELP

87 Mercedes 300E 90,000 miles GRANDMA driven. Replaced leaking pump month ago,and leaking radiator yesterday. Today new pump leaks, there is a gravel ratling noise and NO HEAT (and no money).
What should be checked? THANKS.

When waterpump bearings fail they leak and produce the noise you are describing.
The pump should still be covered under warranty.
The "new" pump is now a piece of junk and has to be replaced. Buy a M-B remanufactured pump from the dealer; it won't be much more expensive than the gypsy pump that's in the car now. The grinding is from the current pump which may have been defective or run dry after the radiator's leak. No heat could be due to a broken pump, an air lock or insufficient coolant.
The pump has to come out.
I had to change a water pump in my 1986 300E. After completing the job, I had no heat in the car. It turned out to be air in the system. I got the air out of the system by disconnecting hoses and allowing fluid to fill the hose and then quickly reconnecting the hose. Second place to bleed the system is on top of the thermostat (remove the bolt on top to allow air to exit)

Sounds like new pump is bad, and no heat cos cooling system has not been bled properly after radiator install. Although if pump is knackered this may not have been possible...
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk