300E Water Pump and other things

I've got 220,000 on my '88 300E and this will be the 3rd water pump i will be replacing. While in there, I've been thinking about the timing chain and if it should be replaced. I would consider changing out the chain guide rails and replacing all the seals in the front end of the engine. I'm currently getting a lot of oil dropping and it's not coming from the oil pan. Do you have any experience with this surgery? How important at 220K is it to replace the chain? Any advice you can give me on this work( I will do) is appreciated. Thanks JB '88 300E '99 E55

Reply to
jb

Yes, you should absolutely change the timing chain, timing tensioner and chain guide(s)... 220000 is way beyond spec. You should change out the timing chain gears as they are worned out.

I have not done the timing chain myself... it takes time... grinding out a link if there is no clip... factory chain doesn't have any clip but replacement does.

Reply to
Tiger