300sd, Can transmission be removed with engine in place?

Group, Mercedes says pull engine and tranny together on my 81 300sd. Can the tranny be replaced without the engine being pulled or should I get positioned under the chain fall? Thanks Bruce

Reply to
brujan

Yes, the tranny can be replaced without pulling the engine. There is wiggle room even though it look like it doesn't.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the info. I have R&Rd the motors and transmissions together but never just the transmission. It looks doable to me. I figure the upper bell housing bolts are a problem. I plan to remove the radiator and fan so I can lower the back of the motor and not do damage. It looks as if I can get to everything need to. All manuals I have looked at say motor and trans are pulled as a unit but I would like to bypass that if possible so I was looking for some one who has done this before. I will post my success or the lack of it soon. I now plan to give it a try. Bruce

Reply to
brujan

It is not all that hard to get to those bolt... you are right about reaching them from the top. Or you can use lots of universal joints and long extensions.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the info I went on ahed and tried it. I have good news and bad news. As to my own question about Benz and other service manuals saying the tranny has to be pulled with the engine, the good news is they are most wrong. I have just R&Rd my tranny with no difficulty what so ever. There were no tight problems or any hassles what so ever other than my stiff back from laying on the floor for two nights in a row.

The bad news is that the test drive reveals that my replacement tranny won't shift to top gear. It shifts quite fine and smooth untile at

55 I am doing 3000 RPM and there is a solid back lash as I let off the gas. I have checked my linkage and I know for sure that I am driving with the shifter lever in the first detent past neutral. I have disconnected the wire at the back of the transmission that I assume is the kick down system and the vacuum hose is on the modulator. Before I go raise hell with the junkyard that I bought this perfect $800 transmission from dose any one know what I could have done to cause this or what I should check that I have not already checked. This is quite depressing and I would rather the problem be my stupidity some how rather than that this transmission is bad. Thanks, Bruce Buchanan
Reply to
brujan