300SD Filter Replacement Problem

Aloha:

I just replaced the prefilter on my '81 300SD, I primed the fuel line, and started the car up. It _seemed_ okay, but I decided to let it idle for a little bit longer, and the engine eventually stalled. Now, I can't get any fuel to come out of the bleed screw when I prime the line, in fact, the only thing I get is the wheezing of air from the primer pump.

Did I fail to do something when I installed the prefilter? Or is there an air leak that I should look for?

Thanks in advance!

-Punani

Reply to
Punani

Is the pre filter directional? If not, and I don't know, then there's an air leak, either at the preflight or the hand primer pump which has a rubber seal under its plastic handle.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

"T.G. Lambach" declared in news: snipped-for-privacy@NoHamOrSpamcomcast.net:

Yes, the prefilter (Why do Kragen and Auto Zone call this the primary fuel filter?) is directional, and it's put in the right way. What problems could arise from directional prefilters?

Also, I understand that the earlier plastic primer pumps were prone to failure. I'm wondering if this is a symptom of it. If I need to replace it how much would it cost to buy and how does one install it?

-Punani

Reply to
Punani

The whole primer is replaced, you'll see a hex at its base for a wrench. $20 on-line.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

The advice you give away is priceless. Thank you so much.

Reply to
Gogarty