300SD Hard HARD shifting

At the risk of posting something that isn't about shoes...
'85 300SD is shifting very hard. I've had a few diesel MBs and I can say this one is out there. I just noticed the ATF seems to be needing
topping off about once every couple months. No ATF leaks under the car. I'm thinking modulator with a bad diaphragm. Sounds about right? Thanks!
Yep, modulator is gone... engine burning your tranny fluid.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sounds like what I had on my 250D. Was some kind of vacuum controlled valve on the transmission. Is that the modulator?
X.
Yes, that's called the vacuum modulator.
Yes, that's called the vacuum modulator.

Where is the modulator located?
I have a 1984 300SD.
Thanks, Jeff
Driver side... on the side of the transmission... roundish, red, green or black color with black rubber cover in center and a vacuum hose attached.