300sd hood pad

I just ordered a new hood pad for my 83 300sd, and I'm not sure what kind of glue to use to attatch it, can anyone help?

anahataray via CarKB.com wrote:

Autoparts stores have 3M trim adhesive, which is what I used. I think I used the spray on version, though not 100% sure, since it was a long time ago.
There is 2 different versions of the 3M spray trim adhesive: General -light duty and Super - heavy duty.
You want the heavy duty version. It is for hood pads and vinyl tops. 3M Super Trim Adhesive #08090
2nd one down here: http://clmcenterprises.srv08.yourhost.com/adhesives.htm

3M makes a product, look at its website for the name
http://www.dieselbenz.info/quiet_hood.htm
anahataray via CarKB.com wrote:

Darrell with DieselBenz.info wrote:

I wouldn't follow the advice on that website, which says to remove the hood and use 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Taking the hood off is the last thing I'd do, unless it was absolutely necessary, and to replace the pad, it isn;t. The website says to use a puddy knife? Is that what you eat pudding with? Also, Karl jogged my memory. The spray on 3m Super Trim Adhesive is what I used. You do need someone to help you, so you can get it positioned correctly.

Remember to cover the engine compartment with a tarp or something before you begin to take the old one off.
Any glue will due, I was adding a heavier hood pad, which significantly reduced noise, if you looked at the sight. And people have recommended both glues. Both work equally well. And yes a puddy knife to scrape off the old glue and pad, what else would you recommend? Your fingers don't work, sand paper will not work, what soak it in a swimming pool?

Darrell with DieselBenz.info wrote:

Last time I checked, there is no such thing as a "puddy" knife. Which is why I asked if it was used to eat pudding. The correct term is putty knife.

I used (and would recommend) an old plastic ice scrapper which is less likely to damage the paint on the underside of the hood. Paul