300SD Keep or Junk?

I have been driving an '83 300sd with 260+ miles for about 3 years. The engine seems to run well despite oil leaks on longer trips. The p.o. replaced the trans about 7 years ago. It needs a new exhaust system and
new rear rotors and pads, $1400+ quote. The car has very little rust and is in good condition otherwise. I recently moved to Wisconsin and I am hesitant about dropping the cash in a car that will be iffy to drive in the winter here. Any suggestions?
Keep it and buy the parts yourself and have someone else put it in... will chop at least $500 off that quote. Got a friend that is handy with car? Will chop another $300 off that quote easily.
Great advice, thanks.
first make sure the GLOW START SYSTEM is ok.
if it starts put SAND BAGS in the trunk 150 LBS and be easy on getting going from a stop or you will see just what TORK is all about
the case, minus a few cans!

From experience, I think 250lbs is more likely to be of help.
cp
Bah! A set of Nokian Hakka snow tires is all you ever need... zero weight in trunk.

I hears that's the same company that makes the cells, eh? quite funny
cp
Nokian and Nokia are two different companies separated by a "n"

No, seriously, google it. Nokia is a spinnoff off Nokia.

No seriously, it's good that you think your jokes are funny.
Let's be pragmatic. If this old engine starts in the coldest days its a keeper for sure despite its millage. But you know that its days are numbered, if not for this winter then the next one.
So it's time to plan ahead. If you love this car then have the engine rebuilt before next winter (or move to a warmer place) or look for a used engine, preferably the same year so all the connections do in fact connect.
I would be more worried about the car starting in that kind of weather and the rust that you WILL have after you drive it on salted roads. Those repairs can be done cheaply, you probably don't need the whole exhaust system replaced, just parts, take it to a muffler shop. Used rotors at a junk yard about 20-50 bucks a piece and the pads, 22 a set. Better get a plug in heater , my diesel hated the wet winter more than the cold, and started driving great once I crossed out of pa. into va. and has been running great ever since, 365K on her. Best of luck, Jim
There are cheaper exhaust systems than Benz's that I think are better (timevalve.com for one). Also the pads and rotors are a total rip off. Though I suppose the rotors may be a bit difficult, pads take 10 minutes to do. Go somewhere other than the dealer and that quote will drop fast. Richard

I know it doesn't feel like it to you right now but that's a classic car that many on this board would be glad to have. I'd fix it. Get the parts yourself and put them in if you can. I'm sure an independent shop can do it cheaper. Don't sell it. You won't be able to replace it with anything that can compare no matter how much you spend.

So your saying it's not junk?
I'd have to agree.
Exactly. Let's see him put a price tag on it and see how fast people come running to take it off his hands.