300SD Lessons and Questions.

I had a problem with the windshield wipers coming on when I signaled right with the headlights on. Not cool. After being told it was the signal stalk, the wiper motor, God's will I got to thinking and discovered it was the wiper pulse relay. Took it apart and sanded the contacts with 1000 grit sandpaper and so far it's working well.

The trunk was getting water in it and there was no leak form the outside that i could find, tho i hadn't done the garden hose thing yet. One morning I opened the trunk and there was a lot of water inside the lid sloshing around the internal bracing. A couple 1/8th inch holes along the truck lid lip that extends beyond the sill of the trunk, and water streamed out like crazy. Don't know if that was all the problem, but things are better.

Now to the Question part of our show: I was trying to remove the steering wheel. Even my electric impact wrench made no progress, tho it did shake the shit out of my dash and I was lucky to have everything working when the fun was done (150k with a working odo. Didn't want to kill it). I was looking at the steering wheel and it struck me that it may not stand up to locking it up with a bar thru the spokes to lock it. I've read that people are turning the steering to the limit. Doesn't this transfer the stress to the steering box? Some even suggested the steering lock. Maybe it's too many years owning American cars, but that seems like the road to a broken steering lock pawl. Was wondering if I should just mooch a decent impact wrench and do it that way or is the bar thru the spokes okay?

Any ideas on what would keep a rear defroster from working when all the easy stuff has been cked? Same with an electric rt side mirror?

Thanks!

Reply to
PT in OR

Make sure that your allen driver is as short as possible. If not it will adsorb the impacts. I don't think that I would use the lock to hold the wheel. The steering at full turn may be ok, but it may break something.

For me to remove the steering wheel on my W123, I had to heat the bolt with a torch. Even an impact wrench rated at more that 500 ft pounds did not move it. I shielded the rubber with wet towels.

Is there a colored dot on the head of the bolt? What is the color?

Reply to
Commuter