300SD oil cooler lines

Since I use this board to get info, I thought I would give some since I found nothing on this when I looked.

On my =9284 they were leaking like crazy at the fittings. Since new ones were running about $250 for the pair on-line, I decided to try something else.

My manual was useless when it came to info on how to remove the oil lines. Hint: loosen up the a/c compressor so you can get the lines past it.

I took the lines to a hose and fitting shop. In 24 hours I had the old metal lines fitted with new hoses. $67. Since these oil lines were an uber bitch to get apart, I had the shop fit the hoses with detachable fittings on both ends where they attached to the metal lines. So I reinstalled the metal lines to the oil filter, which involved a couple tries in different order before they fit. Still, it was miles easier than getting them out. Then I screwed the hose on one end, then screwed it on the other. Much easier.

Another added lesson was the new primer pumps do not need to be locked down after they are used to prime the engine. Good thing they are only $12=85

Reply to
My Oregon Shop

Thanks for the tip. I never would have thought of custom made hoses being way less expensive than direct replacement. The ones on my 80

300SD weep just a tiny bit. I've been thinking I probably should replace them. Anyone have experience as to how these typically fail? Do they weep worse first, or just blow apart, the latter obviously being very bad?
Reply to
trader4

Majority of the time, it is the rubber that swells and leaks. If I am correct that the hose you are talking about is for engine oil... then we are talking about 45PSI and that can rapidly empty out your oil.

Reply to
Tiger