300SD Window Parts

1980 300 SD The power windows on this thing are driving me insane. The RF window had a broken regulator. I mean broken into many chunks. Not sure how that happened. Put in a good one and it binds badly. Took out the aluminum guide rail and it looks like someone took a pair of Vice-Grips to it. The LF window will go up and down but it rattles and surges and creeps. So, I'm figuring I need to regulator kits and aluminum guide rails for both. The kits are readily available, it seems. Where would one score the aluminum guide rails? I'm net seeing them on the usual on-line catalogues. Thanks!
Reply to
PT in OR

Sounds unusual for the rails to be mangled, unless the car was in a collision, so unless you inspected all of them, you may only have one bad one. Isn't it possible to straighten it out? Otherwise the only

2 sources would be a salvage car or else MB.

As for the regulators, last Fall I recently bought one on Ebay for $75. Same guy was later selling them for $50. These are brand new aftermarket ones. They likely aren't as good as a new one from MB, but the one I bought appeared identical to one that I'd bought online from a regular parts store for $125.

If you get one of these from anywhere make sure to check the mounting holes by putting the bolts in BEFORE putting it in the door. On both the one I bought several years ago and the recent one, one of the holes was not tapped properly and I had to run a tap through it. Pretty good evidence they are made by the same outfit.

Also, be careful of the slide stop adjustment that limits how far down it will go. The aftermarket one used a regular bolt, while the OEM one uses an allen screw type bolt. I didn;'t notice this until I had the whole thing assembled and went to adjust it. The problem is with the allen screw bolt you can adjust it. With the hex head bolt, the opening in the door frame is not large enough to get a socket in! So, make sure you check and if necessary, switch and use the old bolt.

And very important, make sure you lube up the gears with some grease and follow the alignment procedure. The window should work easily, go straight, etc. If it doesn't, that's what leads to premature failure.

Reply to
trader4

Sounds like it's a dealer only item. Not unusual with trim and weird body parts.

In real world terms this means "go findeth a parts car". Try car-part.com and find the yard closest with a chassis like yours.

Richard the next 126 I buy will have manual windows i swear to god...

Reply to
Richard Sexton