300sdl valve noise cure

I have found a way to fix the valve train noise on the 603 engine, with this mod the engine runs incredibly smoother and I believe has also increased fuel mileage.
what you do is remove the oil filter cover and on that cover is a tube with two orings on it, inside this tube is a small regulator valve, near the top of the tube is a small hole with the oil flowing from the small hole to the oring end, you need to drill that hole out bigger to allow more oil flow to the hydraulic lifters etc., I drilled it out to 5/32",make sure no metal pieces get into the valve and clean it out with solvent and compressed air blowing from the hole to the oring end. the cost is nothing and you can do it next time you change the oil, you will not believe how much smoother the engine will run

Bad idea dude.
This will probably provide too much oil pressure during highway driving, either emptying the oil pan, or causing a bunch of leaking...
The whole was that size for a very good reason...
Marty
PS Maybe you could add some chain saw oil instead?
I have been a diesel mechanic for 35 years, I would not do something like this without thinking first the 603 engine has had many service bulletins for noisy lifters since new with many lifters replaced under warranty until finally Mercedes said that noisy lifters were normal I am only making the hole slightly larger, it has no effect on oil pressure the oil pressure is the same, it is only increasing a bit more oil to the lifters, a very small percent of what the oil pump pumps if you like noisy lifters I would suggest that you should not try this!! PS I would also suggest you to use a drill instead of a chainsaw??
said:

will
said:

Maybe that's the inside trade secret... customer comes in complain of noisy valves... Okay! Top end overhaul... $2500... and they simply clean up the valve cover... drill a hole and done!

this
with
top
the
will
The purpose of the hole you refer to is to bleed ait trapped in the filter housing back into the oil pan. It does not provide oil to the valve train. Perhaps if the bleed circuit is blocked some air could be forced into the oil pressure system and on to the valve train.
Chas Hurst
You could be right about the hole used to bleed air from the filter but if the valve train is no longer noisy the end result has to be more oil supplied to the valve train, the bleed hole was not blocked before I drilled the hole larger, but you can blow air though the tube easier know than before.

air