300SE Door & Puddle Lights Out

I have a 1990 300SE and the inside light and puddle light (shines down from bottom of driver door) do not come on when the driver door is opened, as they are supposed to. The passenger side lights come on OK when opening the passenger door.

Thinking this was a switch problem, I bought a replacement switch from M-B. Alas, this did NOT make the lights come on. GRRRRRR!

Any tips? Apparently this problem is now behind the switch. That area doesn't look easy to reach at all.

Thanks in advance! Pete

Reply to
Peter Bassett

when u had the door switch out... you could have just shorten the two wires! would have saved you buying a new switch

have you checked the bulbs? thats where i would start....drivers door is the most used..

or you can take out the NEW switch...and check if the brown wire carries ground...else..you have a bad ground somewhere... there could also be a broken wire at the door hinges...but thats the least possble, id say

good luck alex

"Peter Bassett" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Xns947A7BE8E13DBpbassett2223comcastn@216.148.227.77...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

Alex,

Thanks for the advice. The bulbs are OK. The inside light comes on from the passenger side (also by using the 4-way switch up there). The puddle light works OK when I switch the driver/passenger bulb.

The old switch actually was OK after all. I moved it to the passenger door and the lights work fine over there :-(

Not sure what you mean about shortening the wires ...

How can I find a bad ground? The problem seems to behind 100% behind the switch after my tests and switch moves.

Pete

"Alex Hemmerich" wrote in news:buudgv$blr$ snipped-for-privacy@nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE:

Reply to
Peter Bassett

I once owned a '79 280E whose seat belt warning buzzer intermittently buzzed while I was driving, even when wearing my seat belt. The buzzer is part of the "Warning Device" and the dealer wanted about $120 (in

1985) for a new part.

I had it removed - no seat belt or lights on or key in the ignition buzzer ALSO NO INTERIOR LIGHTS when the driver's door was opened.

I suspect your '90 model is the same and its "Warning Device" is kaput or missing.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

but his passenger side works fine!

I don't understand how you drew your conclusion, T.G.?

Alex

"T.G. Lambach" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@NoHamOrSpamcomcast.net...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

Because the driver's door switch, but not the passenger's door switch, is wired through the "Warning Device"

That's my logic.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

then i hope we will find out what it really was

"T.G. Lambach" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@NoHamOrSpamcomcast.net...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

To check if the ground is good take an ohm meter and put on the brown with on the switch then put the other wire on a good chassis ground there should be very little resistance (less than 10ohms). With the meter switch to read DC check the hot wire should read 12 V. At least you will know what wire to chase or bypass.

Reply to
dewatkins

Thanks but the No Seat Belt lights (upper-center red icons) work, as do the Keys in Ignition buzzer and Lights On buzzer. So the culprit doesn't appear to be the Warning Device.

Pete

"T.G. Lambach" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@NoHamOrSpamcomcast.net:

Reply to
Peter Bassett

Also, the driver puddle light is kind of hanging out a bit and may be inop. Could that be a short or something which causes the other connection (controlling the inside light) to fail?

Just a suggestion.

Pete

Peter Bassett wrote in news:Xns947A7BE8E13DBpbassett2223comcastn@216.148.227.77:

Reply to