300SL - $4000 - Too Much?

Old guy wants $4000 for this thing. I don't know.
Those stupid looking doors look like a pain in the butt, and it might need a paint job sooner than later.
I hate to spend that kind of money on a 60 year old beater, but it is kind of cute, and it's only got 47,000 miles.
I read somewhere that a cheap Mercedes is the most expensive car you'll ever buy.
What do you think ?
Yup, those old 300SL's are horrid cars. I'd stay far away. I'm a sucker for these old things, so if you don't want it, I might. Send me the owners phone number. Could always cram a Chevy V-8 in it.
;-)
Steve

Yeah those doors always leaked in the rain. You prolly don't want it, maybe you'd be happier with a more, uh, modern model I mean after all $1200 for a set of dspark plugs is a tad excessive. So, gosh, I'd really pass if I were you.
Um, what was the guys # just out of curiosity ?
What year is that thing? Not the gullwings is it?

If that's the ones that flip up, yeah. Do they make a kit with regular hinges to put on these things?
Maaco said they could prep and paint it for less than $500, so I guess that's some good news. Neon-Lime, WooHoo !!
Keep the gullwing, gullwing... don't modify it.
Forget about Maaco... please.. that is the worst paint job to get. If you can send me a pic via email... I can help you decide on paint condition... maybe you can buff it out.

Yeah good point those flippy-thing doors all leaked in the raid.

Good deal. It'll really help the handling if you jack up the back end and paint flames on it too.

Yeah Man, with Strip 50's on Cragar SS'es, that'd be groovy.
It'd look just like my Pacer, but without the big CB whip.

Ya know, you might be able to get a whcaking great supercharger popping up from the hood, too.
Definitely add a shaker hood, set of white-walls and the classic German fuzzy dice to complete the package. Votes for the best personalized license plate to be the "cherry on top?"
if youre not interested in buying this car, i might be interested in buying it if i can have some pics of it....
Thx..
"EVO-X" wrote