300TD, door tumbler fell out ! mother in law did it

I have a 1987 300TD, and last week my mother in law went to unlock the drivers door, and pulled the whole tumbler out of the door. I could'nt believe it.
I have had no luck trying to get it back in. The tumbler has a little lip that looks like it should go into a little slot in the door, but I have not been able to make it work.
Here are some pics...
pic of tumbler
http://aycu01.webshots.com/image/15440/2001446332496370485_rs.jpg
pic of tumbler hole
http://aycu32.webshots.com/image/13951/2001467304036690266_rs.jpg
Would love some help/advice here, I'd like to be able to lock my door again.
-- Thanks, Andrew
It got to be easy to put it back in... First of all, put your key into the tumbler... That will retract all the discs... then stick the whole tumbler into the hole. I believe it only goes in one way because of the slot... Once in, you have to rotate the key/tumbler mechanism one way or another... and then remove the key...
Then it should stay in this time...

Yeah, that's what I have been trying. Maybe I have not been forceful enough yet, I have been worried about missing some "trick" to make it easy and then wind up breaking the whole darn thing.

the
tumbler
another...
Stop. This will not work. 2 possibilities exist the cylinder retainer could have come loose, or something is broken.
Swing by your local locksmith and have him take a peek at it. If everything is there he should be able to put it right for you, or he will at least be able to identify the parts needed.
Some locksmiths do not work on Mercedes locks, but if he does not, he probably can refer you to one that can.
--

Roger Shoaf