300TD front strut?

First time owner,,,,having difficult locating a loud "Squeak" in the front left suspension. I've greased everything I could find, but to no avail. The only thing left that could be squeaking is the strut....has anyone heard of a strut wearing in this way? The most noise is heard on steering wheel movements lock-to-lock....and sounds like a cat screaming at the top of his lungs. I've never changed a strut, but it doesn't look that difficult. Is this thing spring loaded? Air? Gas? or is it like a normal shock absorber.....bolt on and off? Any help!!!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Osborn

very likely the sound is coming from your lower balljoint. pull back the rubber gaiter and squirt in some light oil - if the squak stops, there's your culprit. replacement is a garage job, unless you have a hydraulic press

Reply to
atwifa

The factory press tool does not use a hydraulic press. It's a simple press tool with a screw. Nice to have but they are expensive. I've used them when I could borrow them. Any machine shop can also press in a lower ball joint for a few dollars. A local auto parts store with a machine shop did it for me and the local Mercedes dealer. The shop charged me $15.

Reply to
VCopelan

Bolt on, bolt off, Steve, but are you sure you aren't hearing the power steering belt slipping?? Does the squeal occur as you work the steering wheel while the car is stationary?

Reply to
Russ Maki

Yes, I can even hear this squawking when the motor is off and I muscle the steering wheel around. I was afraid someone would mention or deduce it to be the lower ball joint....I've never changed one of those...and I live in an area that Benz mechanics are like cops and never around when you need one...lol Thanx to everyone for your input.

Reply to
Steve Osborn