300TD Tail swagger

Hi Group
As the new proud owner of a 300TD Station wagon 92 (W124) I am trying to adjust to feeling of rear wheel drive asf.
My question is: When driving on tarmac and the rear wheel hits a minor
hole or drain in the road, the tail of the car swagger in a quite distinct (can be right or left wheel it gives the same experience). Is this due to the build of the car (rear wheel drive and suspension) or an indication damaged suspension?
Thanks
Christian Jonbech,
You probably need a new shocks in the rear... I would also check all the bushings back there along with sway bar links.
Could this be due to the auto-leveling suspension accumulator being shot?

The self leveling has to do with spring... shock is something else unless it is fully integrated like Caddy... When shock do go bad, you lose control after hitting a bump... especially in wet weather... and around a turn hitting a bump.
Tiger,
No, the W123 estates were fitted with rear hydropneumatic suspension system. The hydraulic struts replace the shock absorbers and springs in the hydropneumatic suspension system.
Don't believe me? Check out this web site on Mercedes-Benz 6,9 which had same suspension as W123 estates:
http://www.m-100.org/6point9/brochure/suspension/index.html
When the system begins to leak, the effect is harsh and bouncy ride as well as sinking down somewhat. Our 1977 450SEL had that discomforting behaviour until we replaced the nitrogen gas spheres and recaliberate the regulators again.
Usually the spheres are the first to go unless the pump fails or the seals breach.
Do your homework, Tiger, before posting the confusing advices or comments in the newsgroup.
Oliver
Tiger schrieb:

I can't know about everything... however I was on the track. I did mentioned that if the shock absorber and self leveling system is integrated together, then you would have to change that.
Like I said... same deal with Caddy... but Caddy uses air instead of hydraulic. It is still the same deal... doing the same work as shock absorber... damping the aftereffect or if you want to get technical, resonance of hitting a bump.
And again. when shock absorber goes bad in rear... a slight bump in wet weather while turning will result in tail wagging or if you are going too fast... an instant spin.
That is common phenonemon with semi-trailing arms due to its unique design. Worn-out bushings often causes the arm to 'flex' which caused the wagging behaviour. Caster adjustment is another factor, too.
My father's 1984 BMW 318i had the same problem. We replaced the bushings and adjusted the casters as well.
Be sure that adjustment is done correctly. It might not solve the problem the first time. A skillful technician knows what to do.
Oliver
Christian Jonbech schrieb:

Thanks Oliver,
Your extensive and enlightning answer was a big help. I appriciate the time and efford you have put into this!
Best regards Christian
On a less bumpy ride now..
..