300TD tuning

Has anyone made adjustments to the pump or injection timing to a 300Td (mine is an 81) to gain mileage or performance, without damaging anything? California diesel has been "oxygenated" at least twice. I learned years ago to only use factory timing specs on old gas engines as a staring point, since gas is not what it used to be.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Diesel, "oxygenated???? The ARB hasn't asked for that.

Yes, CA did remove the sulfur but that's all that's been done.

As to "tuning" a diesel .... leave it at the M-B spec. It produces about 40HP/liter which was the norm for its time - gas or diesel. Some years ago I replaced my 300SD's injection nozzles with Bosch remanufactured one and the motor is smoother, quieter and smokes less.

Some have raised the boost level from the 11 psi spec to 13 or 14 psi and claimed more power but the motor is already 20 years old and I'd not stretch its capabilities unless you're willing to undertake an overhaul.

No '07 passenger car diesels are being sold in CA so we should be happy to drive these old rattlers. Next year a Bluetec M-B diesel is promised: V-6, turbo, catalysts and urea exhaust injection (to reduce NO emission). Complicated but uses about 1/3 less fuel than the comparable M-B 3.5L gas V-6. This new motor makes about 70-75 HP/liter, as do contemporary gas engines.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach