300TD Wagan Antenna

The anttenna on our 84 TD Wagon hasn't worked in some time. Today I took it apart as I was told all I needed to do was tighten the nut on the clutch. Well, I didn't see any clutch bold. So, I shook a bunch
of debri out and put it back in. Low and behold it started to work again, mostly. It will go all the way up but not all the way down. It lacks about a quarter of it's travel in going all the way down. Please advise on how to make it it go the full travel. I have the MB manuals but not mention of the atenna motor/mechanism.
Probably time for a replacement unit Tom. But in the meantime, try the silicon spray. That usually frees things up so you'll get full travel. Dale
Tom Sours wrote:

I'm not sure which antenna exactly you have, but I have a Hirschmann in my 1980 300SD. I had a similar problem. In my unit, there is a spring loaded roller that presses the plastic cable against the wheel. The roller hinge points were rusted, so I removed it, cleaned, oiled it, and voilla, it's working perfectly again.
There are also replacement antenna masts with cable available on ebay for about $20. Some of these cables have teeth for traction and when they get worn out, need to be replaced.
Also, I'm assuming you already cleaned and lubed the mast sections, right?
With antenna extended, check each segment with a straight-edge to see if it may be bent.
Scott D