350SDL Engine needed

Hi guys.. Anyone have a good source for engines??? Trying to decide if its worth replacing the engine in my 91 350SDL.. Just replaced Tranny last year and car only has 173000 miles. New Tires, shocks and everything else works... So... what do you think?

Reply to
GHCjr

For any other engine than the 6 cyl 3.0 or 3.5 L diesls, sure, there's lots of good used engines.

But, there don't seem to be any good used 3.0 and 3.5L diesls.

What does that tell you?

Drop in a 5 cylinder diesel. Seriously.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

This 2 ton car needs the power of the cursed 3.5L six (176 HP).

A 3.0L six at 148HP may be sufficient - if you're not an aggressive driver. It's a good engine and may be worth the effort to find and install. It's reliable but can't be overheated so keep that in mind, especially if you're driving involves long hill climbing in hot weather. The car will then have a "story" - a smaller than stock engine - but at least it's a good engine - not the cursed 3.5L!

Otherwise, I'd just fix the old 3.5L and drive it for another 173K miles when the rest of the car will be ready for the bone yard. I believe the new connecting rods are heavier so there's hope for this fix to be permanent.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I would simply rebuild the original engine with updated connecting rods... that's pretty much all you need if it is that typical problem.

If it is a bit worse as in more damage... then it would help if you describe your problem. Valve job is no big deal... don't let anyone sell you something you don't need like the piston unless it has a hole in it.

Reply to
Tiger