380 Sl Kickdown

Help!
my 84 380 SL bogs down when I put the kickdown in to use. Other wise the car runs fine. I replaced the fule pump relay to get the car started again but
have noticed whenever I put the metal to the floor the car makes a strange sound and starts to bog., if I let off the car runs fine. It goes into normal passing gear but bogs whenever the kickdown is called for. Any answers???
Make sure the fuel pump relay is for an 8 cyl engine. Paul