380SEL Coolant Pump Replacement

Hello All; I need to replace the coolant pump on my 1982 380SEL. I have all the bolts out except the one located at 6:00. Is it possible to get the pump off without removing the Harmonic Balancer?
Thanks in advance Carl
Nope... not really... the balancer is easy to take off... little bolts hold them on.. I believe.
You are welcome... what is the other question?
"" wrote: > You are welcome... what is the other question?
The other question. I noticed a material on the bolts removed from the coolant pump. Is it common practice to use an anti sieze compound on the threads of these bolts?
Thanks Carl
It would be an excellent anti corrosion topping to put on... so the next time, it won't snap off... Always torque it to spec... do not hand tighten by guessing... it will leak again if you guess.
Sorry, Tiger, but I don't understand ... The pump is heavy duty cast. Hand tightening will get me 'fairly' even torque distribution.... certainly enough so in view of the heavy cast construction of the pump. In addition, there is an o-ring to take up any possible slack.... maybe I'm missing something.
cheers, guenter

Hi Carl, I just replaced my pump and there was no anti-seize compound on any of the bolts. It was a 89 300E
cheers, guenter