380sl Completely Dead

Hi,
My 81 380sl with 150k miles on it isn't making a sound when I turn the key. The battery has 12+ volts, the lights are bright, and the voltage at the coil is right. Can anyone suggest the next best place to look
for the problem? I have had any indications that the starter was going bad, and can't imagine it would just quit totally like that. Should i look for something else electrical ?
Thanks
Bill
Jim Lang wrote:

How about fuse? Starter Relay? Ignition switch? OVP? all likely but you'll have to check each for sure.
Starters don't take a bow before exiting, they quit.
It's either the starter or the neutral safety switch. Tap or rap the starter (depending on your mood) and try it. If it cranks after being tapped the starter is bad. If not move the shifter P to D, D to P until you find a spot where the engine will crank. If that starts the motor you know the switch is the cause.
Thanks a lot T.G.
I went out, jacked the car up, went under it, and hit the starter with a hammer 3 or four times. I was skeptical, but it worked like a charm. Started right up. But i guess i need one ?
Next question: how difficult is it to replace one of these babies. I read somewhere that getting the top bolt out can be a real bitch. Any advice in this regard.
Thanks again. You're a saint!
Jim
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:09:08 -0700, "T.G. Lambach"

Thanks.
I'm too old to change starters. Suggest you pose a new message to the group asking your specific question.
Of course you could just carry a hammer.....
Tom

my experience as well, however, he should still hear the solenoid clicking (clacking?) in and out. therefore, probably your suggestion below
cheers, guenter

if it hasnt allready been done, do yourself a favour and replace the timing chain & sprockets for the updated duplex type, otherwise your car will end up on the crusher like so many others sporting this engine.