380Sl heat from under seat

I am new to ownership of an '83 380SL.
When I've been driving a while, I note that there is a lot of heat coming from under the seats - near the hump. I also note that the
carpet isn't all there - there is a space (maybe for the seat to slide thru).
Is this heat common or should I address this as a 'rpoblem'? Is this a 'known problem' or only to my vehichle?
Any thoughts on how to 'cure' this?
thanks!!!
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:34:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@NOblankproductions.com (Robert Blank) wrote:

from your description it sounds like heat from the catalytic converter. Could be abnormal if converter is partially plugged.