380SL - when the timing chain breaks?

the only independent mercedes mechanics on the goofy (single chain OK) side of this issue are those whose experience is too limited to provide a representative sample of failures, or are too young to remember that these engines experienced timing chain failure even within the original warranty period (36 months/36,000 miles).

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

It seems trollish to me, too, in the sense that the OP goes on and on and on, seeking to keep his post alive.

If memory serves, Ptolemy was an ancient astr> that could not have been a more trollish post.

Reply to
William Brown

Yeah, upgrade the chain.

The only conclusion I can draw from this since I don't have one of these engines and have no vested interest either way is, if you're REALLY careful and REALLY lucky and are REALLY good about maintenance then you can get by with a single row chain. While it is no doubt possible you'll find higher milage single row engines I know for a fact of one that was changed at 80K miles then broke 37K miles later with regular 3000 ile oil changs.

In terms of risk assesement it's prudent to upgrade; if you feel lucky, don't.

I would never consider buying a single row car, ever.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

...............END OF THIS THREAD........

Reply to
Benz450SL