4 Matic ('00 E320) matching tires

Hi,
is it critical to have all matching tires in 4Matic models. I mean as far as wear (all 4 similar) and brand goes.
I want to replace 2 of them now and later another 2.
Thx, Andy
Don't do it. It does matter regardless whether you got two wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. I have two friends who did that... stubborn as a mule... bought two tires at a time.
The result was disasterous... car does not handle well at all. Feel loosy and lack of traction. Go to tirerack.com and look up the price to performance so you can buy 4 tires at a time.
Tiger wrote:

I acquired car with two sets of different tires - so this only is why I ask. Thx for talking me out it. In fact I have never bought tires outside of tirerack.com for all my cars and over 300k miles :-)