420 sel burning oil

For some time now I have noticed that under hard acceleration there is a cloud of blue smoke coming out from the tail pipe. The oil level does not seem to go down on the dip stick...
On occasions there is also a strong exhaust smell outside the car. The car is 86 420 sel and has done 217000 km. Would a heavier oil help? Or am I looking at a engine overhaul....
Suggest you consider the valve guide seals before an overhaul.

My 84 500 SEL was smoking under certain conditions. It would be at the same three places on my way home from work. I think it had to do with the angle of the car, because it only happened at these three intersections. A hugh cloud of smoke would come out of the tail pipe. My mechanic put a small ball bearing in the tube that comes out of the driver side valve cover. It's never happened since.
Sounds like valve guide seals to me......probably about a $600 job at a good indie shop.
You have to be real carefull with using a heavier oil in an older car. Sometimes the oil is heavy enough that the engine just can't pull all that extra weight and it burns out! So be carefull with heavier oil, except in the winter when you need more weight to get through the snow better if you can start it with the more congealed oil.
mcbrue slippingaroundly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420