450 SLC steering wheels

I own a 1980 450 SLC and my only complaint is the sheer size of the steering wheel. The car is based in Australia but I would be interested in any information on sourcing an old style Nardi stainless steel/wood rimmed steering wheel and an appropriate boss/adaptor kit. New or used, world wide. If anybody in return would like advice on fitting 16inch alloys off a 1991

500 SL to one of these things, here it is - don't bloody bother!
Reply to
jackbadger

Re: Large diameter steering wheel: You don't like to feel like a bus driver?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Wow, thanks for that! I almost died laughing.

But seriously, if it was angled like a bus wheel I'd be fine, but I'm 6'7" and my legs barely fit beneath it unless i spread them wide............ There's another openning for you to demonstrate your wit. BRING IT ON!

Reply to
jackbadger

NArdi wheels with MB bosses show up ffairly frequently on ebay. So do momo's.

Wrong offset I take it? Don't give up though 16" wheels are a helluva trandformation.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I'll keep an eye on eBay, thanks. Yes, I discovered the whole offset thing after I'd already bought the rims and hunted down tyres! After destroying the front tie rods I discovered I had to get 7mm spacers specially made. I count myself lucky that this didn't also require modifying the guards for clearance. You are right though, after all the tears and trying to find a design of wheel that looked like Merc had intended them for this car, I'm very happy with the improved looks and steering feel.

Reply to
jackbadger

Sorry T.G. just re-read my last reply and i must sound like a sarcastic shit.....which i guess i am! Nothing personal.

Reply to
jackbadger

Umm ahh, wheel offset spacers are illegal in Australia, don't plan on ever making any kind of insurance claim your fault or not - because you WILL be at fault BY default and wont be paid a cent. Unless you put the correct wheels back on the car before the insurance assessor inspects.

Reply to
Bill Clinton

WHAAAAAAAAAAT????????? After all the shit and recomendations received that's the very first i've heard of that one. Thanks. I hate you.

Reply to
jackbadger

you seriously didn't know ?

sounds like you really shouldn't of gone down this path!

Reply to
Bill Clinton

Like I said i was taking advice on getting these bloody things on the car by so-called professionals, and not once was there any hint of the concept being dodgy!!! I now have others on the Australian site saying they're legal if welded to the wheels. Those 13" steelies with painted hubcaps are looking better all the time!

Reply to
jackbadger

Never shoot the messenger :-)

Sorry mate but wheel spacers are indeed illegal in Oz.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Heh. Don't give up. You might want to talk to John Greene (john at mbspares.com.au) or Davide Frada (frada at mbz dot org) they're both in your part of the worls and tremendously helpful)

Reply to
Richard Sexton

You're right, shouldn't shoot the messenger. Borne of frustration, said in jest! Sorry Bill.

Reply to
jackbadger