450SEL6.9 Harmonic balancer removal?

Does anyone have any procedures on removing a water pump from a 450 SEL 6.9, more specifically, any suggestions on removing the harmonic balancer? It appears I cannot remove the water pump with out removing the balancer. Do
the star bolts need to come out from the center of the pulley, or do I need to remove the hex bolts from the back of the harmonic balancer?
Thanks
Andrew
Wish I knew the answer to this. BUT, don't buy a new pump, all water pumps can be rebuilt if the housing is not cracked. My mechanic will do it for 200 or so.

Fred Emmerich
yes, 6.9 water pumps are about $1000 new, so rebuilding is a very good idea.

Damper does not need to be removed. Its a tight fiot, yes, but peel the onion slowly and it will come off with very little clearance.