450SEL6.9 Harmonic balancer removal?

Does anyone have any procedures on removing a water pump from a 450 SEL 6.9, more specifically, any suggestions on removing the harmonic balancer? It appears I cannot remove the water pump with out removing the balancer. Do the star bolts need to come out from the center of the pulley, or do I need to remove the hex bolts from the back of the harmonic balancer?

Thanks

Andrew

Reply to
Powerdna

Wish I knew the answer to this. BUT, don't buy a new pump, all water pumps can be rebuilt if the housing is not cracked. My mechanic will do it for 200 or so.

Reply to
fred_emmerichnospam

yes, 6.9 water pumps are about $1000 new, so rebuilding is a very good idea.

Reply to
Dave T.

Damper does not need to be removed. Its a tight fiot, yes, but peel the onion slowly and it will come off with very little clearance.

Reply to
Hanno2s