450slc strange button

There is a mysterious small black button close to each rear ashtray in the back seat of my 1979 450slc. I thought that these were after market but have since seen the same buttons on other pics from the
same model. What the heck is this used for? Obviously I have not yet invested in the OEM user\service manual.
Additionally, I have a missing "button" on the upper right of my console and was wondering what used to be there. Looking at other pics and noticing that it is a rotary dial I thought that it may possibly be a volume control for the radio. The console has all the other buttons intact and functional (emergency flasher, four window controls, windows lockout button) but the gaping hole eludes me.
Sorry about my ignorance but I am becoming 'Mercedizes' as quickly as possible...I can't get enough!!
On 30 Jun 2004 19:04:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Beak) wrote:

It is the fader (front/rear speaker) control for the radio. The factory Becker radio only has balance controls.
On 30 Jun 2004 19:04:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Beak) wrote:

speakers. The factory radio has only a balance control for left to right, but no fader controls.
Any ideas about the two small buttons in the back seat? You can just make them out between the ashtray and the armrest in picture #10 and #14 at the following link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item $83489510&categoryc31
(Beak) wrote:

They are manual releases for the seat-back folding lock. The seatbacks release automatically if the door is opened, but may be released individually (to fold the front-seat backrest forward) by pressing the button.