5 speed better than 4 speed Automatic Transmissions?

I may have to decide between either of those transmissions in the near future when purchasing my next MB. does the 5 speed offer 'significant' advantages
over the older 4 speed so that I should pay a premium for it's presence? It seems that a 'switchable' 1st or 2nd gear start is incorporated into the latter which alone seems an important feature. Any others?
cheers, guenter
5th gear is has an overdrive ratio so the engine runs slower at speed - that's the advantage.
'97 E320 (5 spd) turns 2,500 rpm at 70 mph. '80 300SD (4 spd) turns 3,000 rpm at 70 mph
Thanks, that is a definite plus for noise and fuel economy. Moreover, I was under the impression that the 5 speed introduced in the late 90's was a complete overhaul of the 4 speed, and did not just have the addition of a 5th gear. I guess I'm wondering re this redesign..... eg on my '89 300e the transmission is 'really' slow to kick down and I'm given to understand that this has been addressed with the 5 speed.
cheers, guenter

The linkage adjustment may be causing slow downshift action. By downshift I mean 4 to 3, for instance, to get a bit of pick up or for a hill, not flooring the accelerator. That downshift ALWAYS seems to take forever!
The s speed automatic is an electronically controlled box with adaptive logic - that means it "learns" how you drive and responds accordingly. It will be leisurely if that's how you drive or jumpy if you're a cowboy. It also has torque converter lock up and a selector for 2nd gear start and quick up shifts for snow conditions.

Yes, exactly. If I understand correctly, the electronic 5 speed transmission responds 'much' faster when flooring the pedal to the metal. If I downshift, say, 4 (D) to 3 with the lever, my 300E responds more or less instantly. Does the electronic 5 speed have the same foibles in this regard I wonder?

Yes, I am wondering if there is concensus (what do you think?) if this transmission is a worthwhile advance to pay 5 to 10k extra for......
cheers, guenter
I am wondering if there is concensus (what do you think?) if this transmission is a worthwhile advance to pay 5 to 10k extra for......
Of course not. The value of a car is its entirety, its more modern technology, not just one feature. But its your money so you decide.