500 SL 107 won't start

Yesterday I replaced the fuel pump relais (the one with 'kick down') on it. Took the car out for a couple of miles, everything fine so far.
This morning I started the car, it fired up but died immediately after
it. I thought it was maybe too low in fuel, so I added some extra fuel, but it still won't start. Strange thing is that I don't hear the fuel pump spinning. When I remove the feed line to the fuel distributor, I do see fuel coming out while trying to start.
Is there something I am missing ? Some other fuses or relais ?
Any ideas appreciated !
Werner
"kickdown" - isn't that stamped on the over voltage protection relay (OVP)???
If so, you didn't replace the fuel pump relay.
I'm not certain so ask others before acting.
permission.
No... he did change the fuel pump relay... it is labelled with 'kickdown'
OK, the motor doesn't start, despite a new fuel pump relay. But he doesn't hear the fuel pump running.
This reminds me of my '97 E320. No fuel pump sound but the engine cranked like a champ. Turned out that the fuel pump's power wire had corroded off the + battery post! (New battery leaked at the + post and the acid ate the clamping bolt!)
New battery, clean battery clamp and a new bolt fixed the whole problem.
Suggest you just take a quick look at the battery connections.
permission.
We're on the road again!
Strange thing anyway- when I removed one of the spark plugs to check ignition and cranked the car, it suddenly started... !
Any idea what could have been the reason ?