500 SL (1989) - Leaking somewhere!

Can you guys help? I periodically have a problem with water in the footwells of my SL - only on one side, front and back. It is only very periodic - but when it happens the floor is soaked in water. I've hunted for a leak - possibly around the soft-top roof seals, but although old, they don't seem to be the problem. My mechanic has suggested that it might be a drainage hole that has been plugged with dirt, etc. - and backing up...I'm not convinced. Have any of you experienced a similar problem? Thanks and regards, David

Reply to
David Morgan

In principle I had a similar problem on my 190E a while ago. I was getting water in the boot - turned out to be a blocked drain hole. So, your mechanic might be right. Now find the darin hole...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I had a similar experience with an old Audi I used to run. Check those sunroof drains and gutters if you have one. You might want to try feeling about under the dash incase you have a dribble from your heater (aircon condensation maybe).

300Essie
Reply to
300 Essie

I suggest you check your AC evaporator drain holes... You have to reach it with a straightened coat hanger from underneath the car... above the tranny... look for some rubber devices... I have not personally seen the SL body yet... from underneath that is...

I recall people complaining about water splashing them when they make a sharp turn... on various cars...

Reply to
Tiger