500 vs 600 SL

I posted the other day about that 600SL, and as you all predicted the car needed an instant 10 grand. Now i've narrowed my search down for a 500SL.
The problem is, the thing I liked best about the 600SL was that V12 and how it would throw you back into your seat by just breathing on the throttle. I don't have a heavy right foot by nature, but that acceleration was addicting. If I get into a 500SL will I be unhappy with the performance of the V8 after the V12? I know the acceleration times on paper are nearly the same because of the weight difference, but the V8 is at a loss of nearly 100lbs of torque. How does the performance of the V8 compare to the V12? Any other differences?