500SL or XK8??

I had been looking to get into a used SL and had my sights set on a 1991 500SL with 95k in my area. It's white with AMG rims and looks sharp. Dealer is asking $13k. I've also been a fan of the XK8 series by Jaguar and
just found one listed at another dealer for the EXACT same price as the 500SL. Except the Jag is a 98 with 75k. Any thoughts on which way I should sway? The XK8 is six years newer but for some reason I trust German Engineering more. No doubt the Jaguar is a beautiful car and i'm sure the newer engineering shows in the way it drives. Opinions? I'm torn between both.

Beware the Nikasil problem. http://www.jag-lovers.org/cjw/#0504a

Drive them both. The answer should be clear to you then.
Jaguars are prettier, like young women, but their depreciation should tell you something about the collective market's thinking about their value vs. the more stolid Mercedes-Benz.
permission.
Nein! wrote:

Those Jags sure are pretty, but I'd trust the Benz more...
Ximinez
Are you going to drive the car or do you just want to look at it?
in the jag you know when youre leaving - but never when youll arrive
the merc is a very well built car that normally just keeps going
(all tihs coming from a man, whos got a merc and are looking for an old jag. the merc is for everyday use - the jag for fun - about 1000 miles a year)
/Lau

Not sure that Jag, although MUCH better than before, as they should be with the Ford billions, had licked all the reliability problems by 1997.
However, my brother-in-law has an older large saloon and is pleased with it.
DAS
"Nein!" < snipped-for-privacy@nein.ss> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...