560 SEL

Hi,
I finally took the plunge. I bought an 1989 560 SEL with 138,00 miles.
Any comments would gratefully be welcomed.
Bill G.

You'll have a great time driving!!!
Hi,
I finally took the plunge. I bought an 1989 560 SEL with 138,00 miles.
Any comments would gratefully be welcomed.
Bill G.
Hopefully you got all the service paperwork with the car. If not here' some things you need to know. The timing chain and related parts, rails, etc, need to be replaced at 100K miles and/or 10 year intervals. If the car has had regular oil changes you can stretch it bit, but what usually happens is that the chain doesn't break but the guiide rails become brittle and break off gettting into the chain teeth and causing the timing to get crossed up and pistons go crashing into valves...not good and you will spend thousands to fix it. So find out if the chain and related parts need to be replaced....about an $800 job a your indie MB shops. Also be sure to change the transmission oil and filter....another thing that gets skipped frequently...also change your anti-freeze too. MB cars last so long that many people drive them for years but forget to do many of the services. If your car is in good condition mechanically, regular services will keep it running almost forever. Many of these cars go 400 to 500K miles, or more. Good luck and welcome to the MB club.....

Thank you John, for what should be done on my car. I am also thinking of bringing the car into a radiator place and have the radiator boiled out. Is this a good idea?
Bill

Nice car.
Learn about its rear suspension so YOU know about its operation before some repair shop tries to "educate" you about it - the costly way.
Where should I go to "EDUCATE" myself on the rear suspension? You are right, I don't want an MB repair shop to 'EDUCATE" me in the "finally honed business" of educating me, while "lightening up my wallet!".
I need to know this.
Bill

Finest MB site on the net....Mercedesshop.com! Go, learn...have fun!