560 SEL suspension conversion to air shocks

I have a 1987 560 SEL and am tried of the costly repairs on the Hydropneumatic rear suspension. On this modle the shocks run through the rear coil springs.
Would it be possible to fit a set of air shocks (so I can adjust the height) in place of this suspension?
Does the top Hydropneumatic shock which attaches to the body under the rear seat use a standard shock bracket, so that the new air shocks will fit right into it?
What about the rod portion of the shock that fits onto the lower control arm? Any ideas on how to secure it? I haven't taken it apart yet , but at present the bottom of the Hyropneumatic shock (rod portion) looks like it fits into a plate on the lower control arm. The plate is attached with 2 bolts. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thank you for any and all suggestions.
Charles
I'd investigate converting, whatever THAT may entail, to the 420SEL springs and shocks as such a change may be much simpler.
--
© 2006 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.