560 SL play in front subframe

How much play is allowed in the front subframe? I can move it both side to side and front to back with a pry bar. Approx 1/4 to 1/2 inches. I am wondering if this might be causing my steering to feel loose.

Reply to
John 560SL

If this is a 107 chassis there was a recall having to do with the front subframe - repaired free at any age.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Recall 96-1211 only applied to 450SL and SLC up to the end of the 1980 model year. Because of the weight of the iron block engine.....

I have seen some 1981 380SL's have cracked sub frames, but since the recall did not apply to them we had to get zone approval to repair them for free.

Reply to
Karl

year. Because of the

did not apply to them we

This is a 1989. Although the bushings do not show visible signs of deterioration, it still seems the play could be too much. I do not see any signs of metal cracking. What do you think? Should it be tight or is some free play designed into it?

Reply to
John 560SL

Yes.

Reply to