560 SL power window spring

The coil spring that helps lift the window uses a slotted metal stud to maintain tension. The motor mounting screws became loose and my slotted stud fell out. It looks like it was originally installed into a hole in the sheet metal and possibly crimped on the back side. If I just put this stud back in place will the coil spring hold it in place or do I need to make sure that it is better attached to the sheet metal? (Of course you cannot get behind it to recrimp it without taking the whole thing apart.) I am thinking of replacing it with a bolt and nut assembly where I cut a slot in the shaft of the bolt to hold the coil spring tang. Secondly, do I need to rotate the coil spring to add tension to it before putting its tang back into the slot in the stud? If so, how many turns?

Reply to
John 560SL

Just buy new window regulator... it is not too expensive... online autoparts such as autohausaz.com or even ebay.

Reply to
Tiger

Bingo! I saw this post a few days ago, remember working on mine in a similar car and know the spring he is talking about. But it's been a while and it didn't occur to me that the spring is actually part of the window regulator. The only thing that still puzzles me is he said that the bolts that hold the motor loosened and then the spring came undone. If this mechanism is the same as the one in my 116, then I don;t see how that could happen. The motor has nothing to do with the spring, which is directly fastened to and part of the window regulator, right?

But in any case, it seems likely a new window regulator is the solution. I got mine on Ebay few years ago. Think it might have been $60 or so.

Reply to
trader4