560sel hydraulic pump

I have developed a leak in the hydraulic pump of my 560sel 1989 model. How difficult is it to remove the pump and replace it[I am a shade tree mechanic] or should I take it to the MB dealer.

Reply to
Joe Black

There are six hex bolts on the front of the pump. Four of these bolts are the mounting bolts that hold the pump to the engine block. You also need to remove the two banjo fittings for the hydraulic lines to the pump; one on the left side and one at the top. When you have the pump off, you will need a reseal kit with O-rings to repair the leak. You will also need a new gasket at the interface between the block and pump. When you have the pump off of the engine block, remove the remaining two hex bolts on the front of the pump and disassemble it. Install your reseal kit, reassemble the pump, and reinstall to the engine block with the new gasket. Check this link for the gaskets and O-rings needed:

Grungedude