560SEL timing chain

Hi, my 118k 91 560SEL is in need of the new chain. Any good info out there? And whats the fav vendor of the group to buy from?

Years ago I help change a 380sl to a double row unit. A clip was used to hold the chain together, no it requires a tool. I will look for a rental at NAPA or so.

Bought this car on ebay and found it will be a bit of a project. Thanks for any info! Rob

Reply to
robrjt

autohausaz.com

That is the place I now buy alot of parts from. Tool rental for the factory one is at

Tiger

Can the 102.981 engine from a 190 E be changed to a double row chain?

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

It is probably cheaper to put newer used engine into the car than to try conversion if there is any. 4 Cylinders don't have as much torque as the V8 so no need for double. Just change them as a regular maintenance and it will last.

Reply to
Tiger

Actually, I am replacing the engine due to a thrown rod. Never thought of using a newer engine. The 230 CE is a w123 with a 102.980 engine. What engine would you recommend?

Thanks

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Are you sure you got a 102.980 engine? 230CE in W123 chassis uses 115.xxx engine... not a 102. Unless someone converted it already... then if this is so, then you can put anything you want in there...102.985 engine as in 85 to

93 2.3L engine.
Reply to
Tiger

I got the number on the block. The following websites say the same thing.

Scott Buchanan

Then by all mean use any of the 2.3 engine. I'd go for the later model instead... unless you want to try to put in a 2.3 16 valves engine for more performance.

Reply to
Tiger

Is this the Cosworth engine?

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Yep, that was the Cosworth engine. Not easy to come by... and probably not cheap either... unless you are really lucky to find a dismantler who simply don't care about price.

Reply to
Tiger

102.980 is the correct engine for a 230ce / 123

the 230c carburettor engine uses the 115.9xx

Reply to
tyke