560SL maintenance questions

In Florida, I recently bought a 1986 560SL with 130k miles showing. There were no maintenance records with the car. The owners manual calls for changing the brake fluid at yearly intervals. I will take the car to the local Mercedes dealer for that change. What other maintenance proceedures will extend the life of the car? Radiator flush a good idea? Are U.S. products OK for oil and auto transmission and rear axle? Advice appreciated.

Reply to
Bill Bunn

The brake fluid flush is a good idea since you don't have the service history. Any brakeshop can do that. I would replace the engine coolant and the trans fluid and filter Again no brainer..anybody can do that.. Make sure you use either the MB coolant or the red antifreeze. The motor mounts should be checked and replaced if they have not been as yet I would search for an independent shop rather than the DealerStealer.

Good luck, Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

All filters: air, oil, transmission, fuel All fluids: brakes, coolant, transmission, engine oil, differential, power steering And a full Tune up

Reply to
sdp1

Check everything rubber - it ages, cracks, and gives gradual degradation of performance.

- Engine - hoses, seals, gaskets, especially vacuum lines

- suspension - bushings front and rear control arms, sway bars, and subframes

- mounts - engine, transmission, differential

- body - seals, especially trunk and soft top hatch

It will drive like a new car if these things were marginal and you replace them. Not particularly difficult, but expensive if the dealer does it. Do it the fun way - get a manual and do it yourself.

Reply to
Grinder

Reply to
marlin