560SL with manual shift?

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1988 560SL with 19k miles and very good condition but it has a manual transmission. Were these models ever sold in
U.S.? IF not, is this car worth having or are there likely to be problems with registration, smog, safety, other?
Stuart
snipped-for-privacy@valontechnology.com
The only 'normal' manual shift Mercs I've ever driven have been awful, with slow, notchy gearboxes. Best to avoid the Manuals if possible and stick with the excellent autos especially on something like the SL. -- JB
E500 190 Evolution II 190E 2.0 Coming soon... W126 500SEL

Huh. The manual gearboxes sure are wooden, but neither notchy nor slow IMHO. It's no BMW-style rifle-bolt action, sure, but it is no worse than any front-wheel drive car. You get clutch feeling, though, which is far more important. Automatic transmission sucks.
I don't think a manual gearbox 560SL was ever offered _anywhere_, though. (Somebody will doubtlessly correct me if I'm wrong.) I suspect that the car must be either built to special order by DB or modified by a previous owner.
--
Roy G. Ovrebo

1982 280SE, 5-speed manual
Front-wheel drive?
DAS --

Yes, a configuration used on inferior cars.
Did you perhaps read an "other" into it?
--
Roy

Maybe I misread your post, but I thought you were suggesting front-wheel drive on a Merc...
DAS --
As Roy correctly pointed out, the 560 SL was not sold with a manual transmission anywhere. The 560 SL was made only as a U.S., Canadian, Japanese, and Australian model. There was never a Euro model. The only transmission it came with was a 4-speed auto. Have you actually seen the car with a manual transmission? If so, ask which transmission it has (MB or other, 4-speed or 3-speed) and who converted it.
Best regards,
Danny