6.9 suspension question

I have seen a European 6.9 (for sale), that has been sitting for several weeks.
The frons suspension is down, but the back suspension is up. Is it normal that only the front is going down as the car is sitting for
some time?
Werner

I don't know if applies to this model/year, but I have heard tales of the front springs collapsing on Mercedes cars. What happens, so I believe, is that the spring sits on a 'bearing block' which sits in the spring seat. These components are made of dissimilar metals, and hence when they get wet, they become an electric cell, and the components corrode and eventually break. Worth sticking your head under and having a look.
DD
The 6.9 has a hydraulic suspension. No springs, no shocks.
at 12:06 PM, "Stratman"

Fred Emmerich

It won't be that then!
The 6.9 does not have springs. They use hydroneumatic struts only. Normally, all 4 corners should stay up. If one end drops prematurely, look for a hydraulic oil leak around the level valve area. There is one in the front and one in the rear. The front one controls both front struts. Unfortunately, MB put it under the ACC servo......

On one of these cars I used to own rear sag turned out to be from a lack of hydraulic fluid. There is a reservoir under the hood behind the right hand headlight assembly labeled "hydraulic fluid". Took me a few years to figure out what it went to. Once I topped it off and ran it so the pump worked for a while, the sag went away.
You can get the hydraulic fluid at a mercedes dealer, or I have had good luck substituting DOT 4 brake fluid.

Was your car RHD? My reservoir is on the left side of the car.
Fred

Fred Emmerich
The front proportioning valve (can't remember the real name) could be leaking internally. Mine does but the front only goes down after the car has been lifted off the ground and then when you put it back down. Then as the pressure builds up, it comes right up. These valves can be rebuilt. Sucky part is the are mounted under the climate control servo.
Fred
at 02:29 AM, werner snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Werner) said:

Fred Emmerich