6000 rpm @ 70mph

I have a 1989 190e automatic, and have only recently begun driving it daily to work on the highway. I usually have to 'floor it' from the on ramp to the entering lane just to build up enough speed (30mph - 60mph).

I notice that at 70mph the tachometer reads about 6000rpm. Is that normal?

If not, is there a transmission shifting adjust procedure?

-Isai

Reply to
isai

In any gear there should be a linear relationship between mph and rpm.. Plot at least 3 points and see if there's a problem.'

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

NO

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

At a steady 70 mph the engine should be turning between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm. If it really IS turning at 6,000 then it must be screaming as you drive.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Nope... not normal. should be around 2500 to 3000 RPM.

Reply to
Tiger

Not normal. You probaby have a vacuum leak, and the transmission is failing to shift into fourth.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

No, are you still in third gear?

Might need more than that!

Reply to
Engineer

My '86 190e is doing just a hair over 3500 RPM at 70 MPH. I tested this today on my way to the airport...

What happens if you use the shifter to select gears? Does it seem to shift then?

Reply to
Martin Joseph

El Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:39:17 -0700, Martin Joseph escribió:

Since it is an automatic transmission I can only select the 2 or 3 gear. I live in a rather hilly area and on occasion shift into 2 gear to go up hills. Also I occasionally shift into neutral when going down very long but shallow hills. It always shifts fine into 2, 3, or D on a hill. I can even feel the difference between 3 and D on the top of the hill.

But everytime I go on the highway (in D) over 50 mph the tachometer keeps rising. I am not going to try shifting from D to 3 to D on the highway to try and force it. That would be suicide since I drive with a lot of traffic.

Any ideas?

Reply to
isai

But everytime I go on the highway (in D) over 50 mph the tachometer keeps

Do you actually hear the engine screaming away as the tach climbs? Maybe it's just a faulty tach reading?

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

El Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:34:04 -0700, Martin Joseph escribió:

Yes, I actually hear the engine and it does get louder. I have noticed the economy gauge, at idle, is higher than it used to be (about 2/3). I talked to a local mechanic and he says the economy guage actually reads off the vacuum. Anyways, the car is in his shop for a transmission tune-up. I am waiting for a phone call from him with more specific details.

Any ideas here would be nice so I can compare it against his findings.

-Isaí

Reply to
isai

If you are saying that you can hear the engine winding up to higher RPM's once you have already reached highway speed, you are almost certainly looking at a new tranny or a rebuild...

I suppose this could also be caused by low tranny oil or poor transmission oil cooling.... but even if it's one of these, your current trans has probably been hammered to a point where it should be R&R'd

Hope I am wrong. Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph