617 engine rebuild

In another thread, Heav wrote:

I'm somewhat interested in doing this myself. I get a lot of oil blow-by and wonder if I might find a bit more performance with new cylinder walls and rings.
I've done a full engine teardown and rebuild in the past, but it's been a long time and now I don't have tools, space, or time honestly to do it. So, if I want to have someone else do it for me, well, what's the best way to go about it?
I remember another thread, someone suggested that sending the motor to MB in Germany to have them do it was a similar cost, but I'd prefer to avoid pulling the engine myself as well.
So LA is pretty close by. Does Metric have the capability to pull a motor and store the car while they're doing the work? (For $6k+ I'd hope so!) Could I/should I even consider having the local MB shop pull it and send it away for me?
Honestly, the car's only got 160k miles on it so it seems like this might be a bit "young" to be doing an engine rebuild, but, well, it needs it. ..."need" being somewhat relative, too, since it does run ok and it does cruise on the freeway just fine, it just chews through oil a bit faster than I'd like and oil runs all down the side of the engine from the breather tube...
thanks, -tom!
oil runs all down the side of the engine from the breather tube...
Suggest you investigate a vacuum leak, perhaps in the brake booster. You may say what does THAT have to do with the motor's excessive blow by? The vacuum pump vents INTO the engine so a vacuum leak somewhere will add to the motor's natural blow by and so cause a mess.
But if you want another engine Metric Motors will be happy to talk rebuild.
permission.
Here are some pictures of my engine after I got my it back from Metric:
http://inyopro.com/left_side.jpg
http://inyopro.com/right_side.jpg
Metric does not do engine management. That means that they do not pull engines or put them in the car. That is up to you. Their shop specializes in engine remanufacture. They do not rebuild turbos either, but send them out to be rebuilt. I brought my engine in on a trailer and came and picked it up the same way. Be sure to chain the engine down securely with chain clamp-type tighteners as the freeways down there in the LA basin are in terrible shape and bounce things all over. I wonder how long we are going to keep kidding ourselves that grinding down the top surface of roadways poured in the 1950s is a solution to moving forward with a transportation system? We need leadership to move to fast rail and soon . . .
I have one thing that I would say is a concern or something to be aware of when sending your motor to Metric to be remanufactured. Make sure you take everything off that Metric does not, as it's regular work flow, put back together. I left my turbo on, and when I went to get the engine, Metric had not put it back on, as usually they get the engines with the turbo off. So I had to figure out how to put it together without the benefit of having taken it apart, which made it a lot harder. You need to get clear with Mike first exactly what they put back together in the end. Either negotiate the engine remanufacture price with everything put back together or make sure you take everything apart yourself first because putting things together with no experience taking them apart is difficult.
Other than that miscommunication I am very happy with the engine so far. I haven't run it yet, obviously, but the thing looks great and Mike and his crew are extremely helpful and knowledgable.
I took me many, many hours to remove all the peripheral accessories and pull the engine, and I know it is going to take a few days of labor to put the motor back in and get everything hooked up. Paying by the hour for that would take this job into the $13,000 range, I think. So I would plan on doing the stuff that does not require special skill yourself, but I think it is a smart idea to leave the precision stuff to experts who are in practice, have connections with skilled machine shops for outside work like crank hardening and turbo rebuilds, and have the equipment in house to do the job right. I would have over $4500 in parts to do the engine like it is, with newly rebuilt injection pump and turbo, and I paid only about $1000 more to have experts do the job and have an engine with a guarantee in case a mistake was made in the assembly, which I doubt when I see the care that Metric put into remanufacturing this engine.
They sleeved and replaced with standard pistons at no extra charge. They did grind my crank, but they send them out to be rehardened after they grind them and then check for trueness and rebalance them. The entire engine was shrink wrapped to seal out dirt and dust when I picked it up and all openings were professionally capped.
Paul

If you have excessive blowby you will just be playing "Whack a Mole" if you try to stop oil from leaking. 160,000 is kind of low milage to need a rebuild, but there are several possiblities as to why the engine could be worn early. Are you sure the speedometer was not changed out for a lower mileage one before you bought the car?
Maybe they did not change the oil often enough and so much dirt got in the engine it got ground down early.
I got 396,000 out of my engine, changing the oil every 2000 miles, but it hasn't been like driving a new car for a long time. It's been hard to start on cold mornings and leaked enough oil to leave a mess anywhere I parked for years. It will be great to drive with out leaking oil all over the place. And the car will be much more pleasant to work on without all that black grease and grime everywhere.
Paul

heav wrote:

Heh, yeah I'm not certain that the odo isn't "new", but the rest of the car has "little" wear for much more than this. The previous owner bought it in 1986 and was a mechanic, so I like to think he was a bit more, umm, honest than your average joe. ...but maybe not. :)
Honestly I also have fantasies of pulling the engine and tearing it down to the pistons myself. Perhaps I will try some stopgaps 'til I can take some vacation time, buy a stand and a winch, and have at it. :)
Thanks for the feedback guys, -tom!
Your engine is too young to be bad... Have you tried running Marvel Mystery Oil in your diesel fuel... 4 oz to 10 gallons?
The rebuilt motor I told you about is by MB factory. They have diesel motors ready to go... they will simply exchange your engine at the dealer.
Tiger wrote:

What does that do?

Ok, I'll see what they have to say then. Thanks. Certainly I'd prefer to not bother though. :)
-tom!
Marvel Mystery Oil will free your piston rings and clean your lube your injectors. I heard it really reduces blow buy because of sticky rings. You might see your fuel mileage go up too.
Tiger wrote:

Huh, far out. I suppose I should go straight petrodiesel just to be sure; I'll run the tank down and do a fill with some of this stuff in there.
(The problems that I am looking to solve were known before I started running vegetable oil in the engine.)
thanks, -tom!